Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Whitney Young

I just watched the tail end of a documentary on Whitney Young. A couple of initial thoughts:

  1. I had never heard of Whitney Young. I was surprised as he seemed to be an integral part in the Civil Rights movement. Not sure if this is because Civil Rights aren't covered much in primary and secondary schools, which, as I remember, may be because time ran out and post WWII to Present was barely taught.
  2. The documentary pointed out that the Vietnam War disrupted Whitney Young's social programs as well as his relationship with Dr. King. I wonder how this country, even the rest of the world, would be different had the U.S. not entered the Vietnam War. The more and more I learn about that time in U.S. history, the more I see far reaching effects.
Definitely worth watching for more information on that period of time and on that movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment